Friday, March 30, 2007

Well my 4th 30K Around the Bay Road Race is done!

The day started out … tired. The alarm went off and I thought “ugh” … but I got up. I stepped out to catch the bus to the start and thought “man is it cold!” … it was supposed to be up to 13C that day but I don’t think it climbed to more than 4. I was chatting to a fellow on the bus who was also doing the Bay and he was hoping to come in sub – 2:00! … AMAZING! My best is 3:27! I got downtown and headed for Tims to get my morning coffee :) … While at Tims I was chatting to some ladies who were walking the 5K for St. Josephs. They were asking how I was going to do the 30K and how long it would take. I said how sometimes I like to find newbies and help them finish. They said so look for us along the course and help us … I said if I saw them I knew I’d be REALLY off course :) After the coffee, I hung around soaking in the adrenaline. Then to get warm I dropped by the church and soaked up a different kind of feeling.

The race started and I’m off … doing an R5/W1 pace. Feeling pretty good. I hit the 10K mark and I’m 4 minutes ahead of pace for a 3:30 finish time. Feeling pretty good. Then at around 13-14K I start “noticing” my Achilles tendon / hamstring. This is not good … these are important for the hills that are coming up.

So I decide to slow down my pace to an R3/W1. I hit 20K and I’m still managing to keep up 2-3 mins ahead of pace. Then come the hills. I decide to walk up and run down. … Shortly after 20K I meet up with someone I know who’s walking the race. I stop and chat for a short time and then continue on.

At 21K I got a “burbly butt” feeling … I need a porta-potty and SOON! I spy one ahead … stop and wait for a bit … get in and … pass gas! For this I waited 2 minutes!

Now we’re at Valley Inn Road. Just before I got a high-five from the dwarf who’s always just before the hill cheering on the runners with “We are the Champions” blasting. Very cool … although this year he has a cane which he hasn’t had before. Now the hill … I’m walking … and yet I see people running up it … I call out “you guys are machines!” There’s a older fellow who tells me that his friend beat him years ago by walking up this hill and he himself ran it … it goes on forever … then we’re at the top.

Now there’s 4K to go … I’m trying to R3 but can’t sustain it the whole 3 … feeling tired, and my baby toes are now making themselves known. Blisters forming for sure. So I’m walking a bit and running a bit as much as I can. Now we’re at 29K … yippee the race is nearly done.

Although I see a poor woman with blood down the side of her shin. I stopped and asked what happened she said she has ‘foot fall’ and that she’d spent the last 10K hitting her ankle. I ask if she wants me to stay with her to finish … she says she just needs to get herself together but htanks me for stopping. Now I’m heading down into Copps … watching for the mat at the bottom since I DON”T want to fall again! Then I’m running across the finish line hat in hand … yippee! I did it in 3:34:58 … not half bad all things considered! Splits 1:10 at 10K and 2:21 at 20K.

As well ... I didn't mention that once again things at work are THE PITTS!!!!! So I went into this pretty darn stressed! Next up … Mississauga ½ marathon … and then the full in Ottawa … altho’ the boys and I are doing the 8K spring run off in High Park on April 7 … that should be fun!

Cheers

1 comment:

Wayne said...

Hi Shirley - Congrats on the run and the experience. Would you rate the 30K as a must do race for 2008? I'm interested in coming back to run it. Thanks again and continued success with the running. - Wayne